Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Reflections from the 15th Rotary HumaniTour Viet Nam

October 14, 2011

Hi Chu Son,

I want to start off by saying thank you for coordinating a great, heartfelt, and memorable trip of a lifetime. I am in awe of all your humanitarian work, the success of Kids Without Borders and most of all your altruistic heart. This trip has truly imprinted a dent on my heart, there are no words to express how grateful and appreciative I am for you sharing all of the work you do with all of us. Thank you so much. Honestly, this trip is a best learning trip. Back in the states, we see how poverty and kids with conditins exist all over the world through the media. However when witnessing it in person, it is an eye opener, you cannot help but be taken back by it. It makes you realize how many of us take life for granted from littlest thing that we do not value such as tooth brush and tooth paste oppose to it being more valuable to others. Chu Son, you have encouraged and motivated me to hopefully one day to aspire to be like you and to aspire to do all the great work that you do for these kids. Once again thank you with all my heart and God Bless you!
...
Best,
Annie D.
What made you interested in Kids Without Borders HumaniTour?
I became interested with Kids Without Borders whent I went onto their website to learn more about the organization and it's purpose. After reading the testimonials from previous humanitours, I knew I wanted to be part of this trip to learn more about this organization and most of all help these children.

What was your favorite activity or destination?
My favorite destination was in Saigon when I got to meet the children at Go Vap Orphanage and my favorite activity was feeding the newborn babies. I had the privilege to talk to the nurses there, learned how the babies are named, their age and how they got to the orphanage.

Prior to this trip, had you ever traveled to Viet Nam? How has this trip affected your view of Viet Nam?
Prior to this trip, I have traveled to Viet Nam twice. First time when I was 4 and second when I was 8. It's been 20 years since I have returned. I have vague memories of Viet Nam but I do know that it has immensely developed since I have been back. Although the country has developed tremendously, there are still a high poverty rate in the country and many children in need of help and care.

How has this trip affected your view of people with disabilities?
There was a boy I met, because of his condition, he was not able to move. When he saw me, he had the biggest smile on his face. He is one of the many who are fed by the tube, knowing that I knew he never had the chance to taste candy, I opened a lollipop for him. I asked him to open wide, I rubbed the blow pop on the outline of his lips and on his tongue. You can tell he was overjoyed by how good the sweetness tasted on his tongue through his enormous smile and the smacking of his lips wondering what he was tasting for the first time. One of the nurses said that the lasting taste of the candy will be with him all day.

Were you aware of the long-term impact of Agent Orange prior to this trip? Has this trip changed your perspective on Agent Orange?
Prior to this trip, I knew very little about the Agent Orange Dioxin. Through this trip I was more educated on the topic, learned and witnessed how Agent Orange deeply affected Viet Nam and how currently Viet Nam as a country are affected through birth defects, water/crop contamination and generations after will still be affected with these related conditions because of the Agent Orange Dioxin.

Did you have any special experiences or interactions with the Vietnamese people? Can you describe one?
I was grew attached to two kids at Go Vap Orphanage, first was a kid named Danh, he is 9 years old. Danh is so smart and clever. He gave me a tour of his classroom, showed me the classroom books, toys, artwork and their fish tank. I came in time for feeding time, I got to feed a baby name Cam Linh (6 months old), he was so cute. I held him in my arms as he examines my face wondering who I was looking deep into my eyes. He had the cutest giggle as I played peekaboo usind his hands to cover my face. I was not sure if the nurses sang nursery rhymes to them, so I sang twinkle little star and he had the biggest smile. The hardest moment for me was to put him back in his crib knowing that he has grown attach to me as I grew attach to him as well. Broke my heart to leave all the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment